Famous Illinoisians with Civil War Ties
Benjamin Henry Grierson
Civil War General - Explorer
- second son of Mary and Robert Grierson who moved to Jacksonville in 1851.
- taught music in Jacksonville, Illinois
- opened a store in Meredosia, on the Illinois River
- enlisted in Illinois troops in 1861
- Colonel of 6th Illinois Cavalry Regiment
- rose through to the ranks to Brigadier General
- Grierson's Raid: In April 1863, he commanded Illinois Cavalry in Mississippi, as part of the movements on Vicksburg.
- Grierson's received commendations from both General Grant and President Lincoln.
- Brevet Major General in 1865
- Scouted and explored the west and southwest after the war.
| Main Page |
About this Site |
© Copyright 1996-2007